Oh hey. I’m back.
Finally, right? A vacation to St. Louis in every sense of the word!
So while I’m catching up with all you kiddos, here’s a quick run down of what I’ve been up to:
1. I asked my friend Mary to pick me up from the train station this time around. Last time, Laura got lost trying to find the station. It just seemed to be a good idea. Mary found the station without a problem. However, finding our way back home was the issue. A little tour of East St. Louis may have happened. Not ideal. Slightly scary.
2. The initial reason for my trip to St. Louis was a friend’s wedding. It was at a winery just outside of the city. A beautiful spot. On days when it’s not pouring (thank you, aftermath of hurricane Issac). I forgot my umbrella, but luckily my guy friend had one on hand.
It may have been a golf umbrella and I may have been able to fit the entire bridal party underneath it. But whatever. Go big or go home.
And please ignore the massive bruise on my leg. I considered concealer, but decided, in the end, just to own it like a baller. Doubtful anyone really cared after we decided to take the dance out from under the canopies to frolick in the rain.
3. Just because it was the holiday weekend doesn’t mean we completely slacked off. And just because it rained the entire time I was in St. Louis, doesn’t mean we had to stay in the house the entire time.
According to my friend’s gym, I just moved from Chicago and am looking for a great new gym to meet my fitness needs. Shhhhh. This got me a 3-day pass and the ability to tinker with some weight machines after a 3-mile run. Gym date with the girls. Total win.
4. Because it was the last official summer weekend, we absolutely had to grill out. I got put to work in the kitchen (to earn my keep?) and the end result was grilled chicken and loaded mac and cheese with bacon. Because that’s how a true ‘Merican would celebrate.
5. I worked so hard in the kitchen and all they did was make fun of how my booty shakes when I stir stuff. Sigh.
6. It’s not a trip to Missouri without a date to St. Louis Bread Co with my besties.
What can I say? We find something we like and stick with it.
6. I am convinced the train is the best and most efficient way to travel from Illinois to Missouri. I can zone out to music and read the entire time instead of having horrifying thoughts of my car breaking down and me being dragged into the cornfields in a Children of the Corn moment.
I’m not kidding. The thoughts are terrifying.
Plus, it’s much cheaper. And I don’t have a car anymore- very much limiting my options.
7. I always feel so rough for a day or two after trips like these. When reverting to old college self ways with besties from college, my body tends to hate me. Hopefully this won’t last long. The train ended up arriving in Chicago early last night (NEVER happens) and I was home at a respectable hour. Allowing for a respectable amount of sleep and a respectable strength workout this morning with Jillian.
Here’s hoping the rest of the day will be respectfully mild. It will make my recovery from the weekend respectfully easier.