Today’s post is a special shout out to my Chi-Town kids.
Who wants to run a free 5k this weekend?
And you over there?
And how about you up there in the balcony?
Everyone does? Ok. Cool. Let me help you with that.
I have been working with the fine peeps over at Give Your Sole and Allstate Life Insurance Company over the last week to help promote the donation of moderately used athletic shoes to those in need.
Here are the details:
· Allstate Life Insurance Company and non-profit organization Give Your Sole are giving half marathon runners the chance to leave a unique footprint on local communities as part of a shoe donation program around Allstate Life Insurance SM 13.1 Marathon® Series races.
· Beginning with the Chicago 13.1 Marathon on June 9, race participants, spectators and local residents can donate moderately used athletic shoes to benefit homeless shelters and missions in race markets. All shoes collected in Chicago will be donated to Breakthrough, an organization that provides shelter, meals and other services to homeless men, women and children within the city.
· In addition to the Finish Line Festival, race participants and local residents will be invited to donate shoes at 2012 race packet pick-up events leading up to the race. Participating Allstate® agents will assist with collecting donations by inviting customers to drop off shoes at their local agencies. In Chicago, donations will also be collected at participating Fleet Feet Sports store locations until June 10.
· To celebrate the program launch in their hometown of Chicago on June 9, Allstate Life Insurance Company has teamed up with Chicago Bears’ 2012 first-round draft pick Shea McClellin to interact with runners and encourage donations at the Allstate Life InsuranceSM Chicago 13.1 Marathon® Finish Line Festival, held at the South Shore Cultural Center.
Awesome, right? Personally, I’ve got a few pair that are ready to get out of my closet and actually be worn again.
It’s a good feeling. Not only am I helping out the local community, I’m also cutting back on hoarding tendencies. Win-win!
Plus, you get a chance to meet a Chicago Bears player! Donate shoes, shake his hand. A productive lil’ Saturday…
So please- if you’ve got the old shoes and the time this week, come help us out!
I am giving away one free promo code to sign up for the 5k associated with the race. Since the race is THIS Saturday, let’s make this happen NOW!
You have until 5:00 on Tuesday, June 5th, to enter. And this is all you have to do:
1. Tell me you want to win!
2. Tweet about the contest and comment here that you did.
3. Facebook it! Make sure your Chicago running buddies know about this one and comment here again that you did so.
Hurry up and enter, kids!