Welcome back to the grind, my friends!
Over lunch yesterday, my mom made the comment, after discussing my upcoming month or two, that I don’t get much downtime.
This could not be more true.
Would I have it any other way?
You caught me on a good day. So I’d say no.
Memorial Day Weekend could be considered yet another blur to add to the long string of blurs that is my life.
It included, but was not limited to:
1. Running late to catch the train due to issues with the el, turning me into a starving, anxiety-ridden fool before finally collapsing into my seat. And forcing me to purchase food on the train.
Anywhere else, I should have been able to get a steak dinner. On amtrak? Turkey sub with cheese. No lettuce.
At least they offered to zap it in the microwave for me. What service!
2. Having the friend with the least sense of direction pick me up from the train station in downtown St. Louis. She knows who she is.
3. Good food lovingly barbecued by my friend Mary’s hubby.Considering he has a strict policy of not eating anything green, he was very considerate of our attempts to be healthy before shimmying into our summer dresses for the first time of the season.Actually, considering how we revert to our giggly college selves, the time we take to get ready, and our squealing demands for fourth meal drive thru, I am quite convinced she must pay him off before our arrivals.
3. A trip to the pool cut short because the triple digit temps made us sure we started to cook on the inside.
4. Two trips to Panera for “morning after reenergizing”.
Excuse me- I forgot where I was for a moment. It’s St. Louis Bread Company there, still. Duh.
They’re the bestest. That, or they just really like having an excuse to visit their version of a vacation house:I don’t personally enjoy gambling. But yet I’ve spent an inordinate amount of time hanging out in casinos.
Can’t hate on comped rooms. Or the buffets. Or the breakfast.
6. My only workout was spending 30ish minutes in the sad excuse of a workout room at said casino (I get it- they’d rather have us gamble), but being ok about it because my parents and I walked for miles and miles.
- “Delay” was the favorite word of the conductors on the amtrak train home. Seems to be all my trips end in cancellations, delays, bad traffic, and, of course, a stabby Amy. I guess every awesome weekend comes with a price.
And every awesome weekend sadly had to end. Considering this one was thrown together on a whim (“holy crap guys, it’s a $40 round trip, are you gonna be around?!?! I’m booking this!), it was one for the books.
And besides- I’ll spend time resting up next weekend…
That sound you hear is everyone who know me laughing as hard as they possibly can.
Filed under: Holiday Randomness | Tagged: BBQ with friends, blur of a weekend, Memorial Day Weekend, Missouri weekend, Panera, spending quality time at the casino, St. Louis weekend, too busy to workout | 23 Comments »